York Music Boosters
The York Music Boosters' mission is to support York's Musical Arts Department and its students by funding and supporting music events, grants, and scholarships.
- YMB wishes the very BEST to Performing Arts Chair Bill Riddle as he retires at the end of this school year! Read more about Bill's time at York.
- Summer Music Scholarships were approved at the last YMB board meeting (May 6). Students who applied for scholarships will be notified soon.
- Formal band and orchestra uniforms must be turned in after the last concert of the year. Visit this page for more info.
- The "York Album Project" Release Party rocked on May 4. Visit the York Amateur Musician Club Facebook Page for video clips. Listen to the album on Spotify and Bandcamp, or search "York Album Project" on Apple Music. This year's release is called "Open Up."
- Elmhurst College WRSE 88.7 hosted student musicians from the York Album Project to talk about the album and to play some tunes! Click here to watch the video.
- Congratulations to the cast and crew of "Bright Star" on receiving four nominations for the 2019 Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards.
- May 14 - Cadet and Concert Orchestras
- May 16 - Symphony Orchestra
- View all upcoming Performing Arts events!
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, at 7:30 PM, the York Community High School Music Department will present performances by the York Cadet and Concert Orchestras. The concert will honor members of the graduating class of 2019, and will feature a variety of music including works by the Italian Baroque master Arcangelo Corelli, Johannes Brahms and Camille Saint-Saёns, as well as music from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Phanotm of eth Opera.” Featured soloists include violinists Daniel Garcia, Stephanie Garcia and Johanna Johnsen, violist David Tith, cellist Justin Frank, harpists Taylor Headley and Cadence Chalmers as well as Ellie Kness on harpsichord. The orchestras are directed by Ray Ostwald, assisted by student teacher Olivia Sears. The performance is in Baker Auditorium at York High School. Admission is free. A reception honoring the student musicians will follow the concert in the cafeteria.
On Thursday, May 16, 2019, at 7:30 PM, the York Community High School Music Department will present a special performance by the York Symphony Orchestra. The concert will honor the graduating class of 2019, and will feature a world premiere performance of Matt Turner’s new composition “Sofia’s Song,” written for the York Symphony Orchestra, commemorating the Centennial of York High School and honoring the memory of Sofia Haken (1995-2018). Senior concerto competition winner Grace Clarke will perform the three movements of Paule Maurice’s Tableaux de Provence. The Symphony Orchestra will perform Samuel Barber’s powerful Adagio for Strings, Brahms’ Academic Festival Overture, music from Bizet’s opera Carmen and the March from Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams. Featured soloists include violinists Maya Toffler and Alex Boskov, cellist Emily Dow, oboist Connor Karwowski, and pianist Julian Wrobel. The York Symphony Orchestra is directed by Ray Ostwald, assisted by student teacher Olivia Sears. A reception honoring the students will follow the concert in the cafeteria. The performance is in Baker Auditorium at York High School. Admission is free.
Perhaps you've enjoyed post-concert receptions, or your student has been able to offset trip costs by selling greens, or your student has been fitted for their formal uniform quickly and efficiently. None of these things would happen without the assistance of the York Music Boosters. In addition to managing concert receptions, the Greens Sale, and uniform distribution, YMB provides monetary donations for programs such as Fine Arts Week and summer scholarships, among other things.
We are an important support arm for the York Music Department and we need your help.
This year we are experiencing an especially large board turnover due largely to graduation and are looking for several new members, specifically:
Vice-President, Secretary, Assistant Treasurer, Scholarship Chair, Uniforms Chair, Greens Sale Chair and Escrow Chair.
Please consider volunteering your time to the York Music Boosters, which directly supports our wonderful music students. We would love to have you!
We meet approximately 5-6 times a year. Most positions do not require much time, or require a bit of work but only for a couple of weeks during the year. Please contact any board member for more information. Thank you so much for your consideration!