Jordan Stopka - Head
2021 Boys Varsity
SCHEDULES & IMPORTANT INFORMATION
IHSA TEAM AWARDS
2005, 2006, 2019, 2021
1975,1982,1984, 1999, 2008
Freshman and JV2 Teams play at Beren's Park -
493 N. Oaklawn Ave.
Elmhurst, IL 60126
JV1 and Varsity Teams play at York High School Stadium
Tryouts (3 days)
*For specific program information, please scroll down below and read "Program Overview"
Wednesday (8/10) - Friday (8/12)
- Freshman: 10am-12pm
- All others: 8am-10am
Location: "The Pit" (Front Field north of St. Charles Rd.)
- Soccer cleats
- Plenty of Water
- Running Shoes
It is required that you have an up-to-date physical on file with the office and register through the link on the left or on the main athletics page. If the player is missing either of these two things they will not be allowed to partake in tryouts until they do.
York Dukes Are 3a State Champs!
5 TEAMS - COMPETITIVE/LIMITED (numbers are approximations)
- VARSITY ~20 PLAYERS
- JUNIOR VARSITY 1 ~20 PLAYERS
- JUNIOR VARSITY 2 ~25 PLAYERS
- FRESHMAN A ~20 PLAYERS
- FRESHMAN B ~20 PLAYERS
- All players must have a current physical (within 1 year) on file with the school nurse. If your physical expires before November 6th you need to get a new one.
- Generally, freshman tryout for freshman, sophomores tryout for sophomore, juniors & seniors tryout for varsity or junior varsity.
- Varsity tryouts are open tryouts. Most players are juniors or seniors, but tryouts are open to all players that feel they are ready to play at the varsity level (please email coach Stopka if you are considering trying out for the varsity team as a freshman or a sophomore).
- Freshman coaches may move players to the junior varsity level for a tryout, but junior varsity tryouts are not open tryouts.
- Most players have a number of years of playing experience, through local recreational and competitive club programs.
- Due to a high number of players with lots of experience, tryouts at every level are very competitive.
- In general, prior experience and previous level of play do make a difference in player development. While it does NOT matter which club a player chooses to play for (if at all), players are encouraged to play throughout the year and at the highest level at which they can play.
- Players are NOT allowed to wear club apparel during tryouts or at practices throughout the season - players should wear York soccer apparel as they represent their high school on and off the field.
- Freshman (A and B) - approximately, 40-55 freshman will try out – this number seems to be growing every year. Approximately 40 players will make the two freshman teams. Depending on the number of players that try out, some players may be cut.
- Junior Varsity 1 - approximately 20 players will make the JV1 team. This team is comprised of mostly sophomores, juniors, and seniors on the cusp of making varsity. Some freshman may be on the team.
- Junior Varsity. 2 – approximately 25 players will make the JV2 team. This team is comprised mostly of juniors and seniors that do not make (or tryout) for the varsity team or JV1 team. Sophomores may be on this team. No freshman will be on this team.
- Varsity – approximately 18 - 20 players will make the varsity team. This team is comprised of freshmen through seniors.
- Technical Ability & Skills
- First touch – Ball control
- Dribbling – Passing – Shooting
- Ability to play with both feet
- Tactical Ability - Speed of play/Soccer IQ
- Decision making & poise on the ball
- Positioning & movement off the ball
- Speed – Agility – Quickness
- Overall fitness & strength
Want to be added to the email list? Have questions?
Please reach out to Coach Jordan Stopka at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jordan Stopka - Head Varsity Coach