SCHEDULES & IMPORTANT INFORMATION
OFF SEASON TRAINING
Click the link below for the soccer off season training information -
IHSA TEAM AWARDS
1975,1982,1984, 1999, 2008
Freshman and JV Teams play at Beren's Park -
493 N. Oaklawn Ave.
Elmhurst, IL 60126
Sophomore and Varsity Teams play at York High School Stadium
5 TEAMS - COMPETITIVE/LIMITED (numbers are approximations)
- VARSITY 18 -20 PLAYERS
- JUNIOR VARSITY 18 - 22 PLAYERS
- SOPHOMORE 18 - 22 PLAYERS
- FRESHMAN A 20 PLAYERS
- FRESHMAN B 20-24 PLAYERS
- All players must have a current physical (within 1 year) on file with the school nurse.
- Generally, freshman tryout for freshman, sophomores tryout for sophomore, juniors & seniors tryout for varsity or junior varsity.
- Varsity tryouts are open tryouts. Most players are juniors or seniors, but tryouts are open to all players that feel they are ready to play at the varsity level (please email coach Majewski if you are considering trying out for the varsity team as a freshman or a sophomore).
- Freshman coaches may move players to the sophomore level for a tryout, but sophomore tryouts are not open tryouts.
- Most players have a number of years of playing experience, through local recreational and competitive club programs.
- Due to a high number of players with lots of experience, tryouts at every level are very competitive.
- In general, prior experience and previous level of play do make a difference in player development. While it does NOT matter which club a player chooses to play for (if at all), players are encouraged to play throughout the year and at the highest level at which they can play.
- Players are NOT allowed to wear club apparel during tryouts or at practices throughout the season - players should wear York soccer apparel as they represent their high school on and off the field.
- Freshman A&B - approximately, 40-55 freshman will try out – this number seems to be growing every year. The A & B teams are split by ability level; approximately 40 -45 players will make one of the freshman teams. Depending on the number of players that try out, some players may be cut.
- Sophomore - approximately 22 players will make the sophomore team. This team is comprised primarily of sophomores, but may include some freshman that are ready to play at this level.
- Junior Varsity – approximately 22 players will make the JV team. This team is comprised of juniors and seniors that do not make (or tryout) for the varsity team.
- Varsity – approximately 18 - 20 players will make the varsity team. This team is comprised of freshmen through seniors.
- Technical Ability & Skills
- First touch – Ball control
- Dribbling – Passing – Shooting
- Ability to play with both feet
- Tactical Ability - Speed of play/Soccer IQ
- Decision making & poise on the ball
- Positioning & movement off the ball
- Speed – Agility – Quickness
- Overall fitness & strength
- Boys’ Soccer Season: Approximately August 12th until mid-October
- 5-6 day per week commitment
- Tryout times in August 4:00pm until 8:00pm
- Practice 3:30-5:30 – or longer, depending on level; Games 2-3 times per week
- High school camps - incoming freshman thru seniors
- Youth camps – York youth camp 3rd through 8th grade students
- Other local camps/college camps
1975, 1982, 1984, 1999, 2008, 2018