SCHEDULES & IMPORTANT INFORMATION
OFF SEASON TRAINING
Click the link below for the soccer off season training information -
IHSA TEAM AWARDS
1975,1982,1984, 1999, 2008
Freshman and JV Teams play at Beren's Park -
493 N. Oaklawn Ave.
Elmhurst, IL 60126
Sophomore and Varsity Teams play at York High School Stadium
BOYS' SOCCER PROGRAM OVERVIEW
YORK BOYS’ SOCCER PROGRAM
5 TEAMS - COMPETITIVE/LIMITED (numbers are approximations)
- VARSITY 20 PLAYERS
- JUNIOR VARSITY 20-26 PLAYERS
- SOPHOMORE 25 PLAYERS
- FRESHMAN A 20 PLAYERS
- FRESHMAN B 20-25 PLAYERS
- All players must have a current physical (within 1 year) on file with the school nurse
- Generally, freshman tryout for freshman, sophomores tryout for sophomore, juniors & seniors tryout for varsity or junior varsity
- Varsity tryouts are open tryouts. Most players are juniors or seniors, but tryouts are open to all players that feel they are ready to play at the varsity level.
- Freshman coaches may move players to the sophomore level for a tryout, but sophomore tryouts are not open tryouts.
- Most players have a number of years of playing experience, through local recreational and competitive club programs.
- Due to a high number of players with lots of experience, tryouts at every level are very competitive.
- In general, prior experience and previous level of play do make a difference in player development. While it does NOT matter which club a player chooses to play for (if at all), players are encouraged to play throughout the year and at the highest level at which they can play.
- Players are NOT allowed to wear club apparel during tryouts or at practices throughout the season - players should wear York soccer apparel as they represent their high school on and off the field.
- Freshman A&B - approximately, 40-50 freshman will try out – this number seems to be growing every year. The A & B teams are split by ability level; approximately 50 players will make one of the freshman teams. Depending on the number of players that try out, some players may be cut.
- Sophomore - approximately 26 players will make the sophomore team. This team is comprised primarily of sophomores, but may include some freshman that are ready to play at this level.
- Junior Varsity – approximately 26 players will make the JV team. This team is comprised of juniors and seniors that do not make (or tryout) for the varsity team.
- Varsity – approximately 20 players will make the varsity team. This team is comprised of freshmen through seniors.
- Technical Ability & Skills
- First touch – Ball control
- Dribbling – Passing – Shooting
- Ability to play with both feet
- Tactical Ability - Speed of play/Soccer IQ
- Decision making & poise on the ball
- Positioning & movement off the ball
- Speed – Agility – Quickness
- Overall fitness & strength
- Boys’ Soccer Season: Approximately August 9th until mid-October
- 5-6 day per week commitment
- Tryout times in August 4:00pm until 6:00pm
- Practice 3:30-5:30 – or longer, depending on level; Games 2-3 times per week
- High school camps - incoming freshman thru seniors
- Youth camps – York youth camp 3rd through 8th grade students
- Other local camps/college camps