- Hey, York Student! Get into the Valentines’ Day spirit ---spread some love around the place! The York Garden Club is selling pink and red flowers at lunch all week leading up to Valentines’ Day. Perfect for teachers, friends, and “special friends”. But hurry--we have a limited amount of each, and when they’re gone, they’re gone. So get out your dollars--time to say it with flowers!
- VDay is coming . . . Valentines Day? No … Voter Registration Day? NO . . . V-Day is a global activist movement to end violence against women and girls. V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money, and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations. V-Day generates broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation (FGM), and sex slavery. Will you join EMPOWER on Friday and wear a V so collectively we can work to end violence against women worldwide?
- The Teens for Jeans jean collection is still going on: you can donate slightly used jeans, which will then go to homeless teenagers. The drive will end on the 24th. Bring your jeans to the school entrances and the learning commons entrance
- Do you have any extra jeans? Well donate them to help homeless youth in the drive Teens for Jeans. From February 8th to February 24th, drop off your jeans in the entrances to the school or in the commons.
- There will be a mandatory informational meeting for any girls interested in playing water polo this spring. The meeting will be held at 3:30 on Tuesday, February 23 in C246. If any athlete is unable to attend the meeting please see Coach Giuliani in the PE office.
- Today’s Black History Month fact: Patricia Bath is the first African-American female doctor to have ever received a patent for a medical purpose. Her achievements as an ophthalmologist, inventor, and academic have helped countless people with cataracts achieve full use of their vision again. Ms. Bath’s patented laser device has also helped to restore vision to people with degenerative conditions who have been unable to see for decades.
- Celebrate Valentines Week with the York Food Court...Enjoy daily special desserts all week long as well as our Latte Special of Buy 1 & get one for $1.00...all week long.
- Anyone who is interested in trying out for Boys Volleyball this spring should attend a mandatory informational meeting on Friday, February 12th at 7:00 am or 3:15 pm in Coach Dowdy's Room, A318. Tryout and Open Gym information will be handed out at that time. If you have any questions please see Coach Dowdy in A318.
- TSI would like you to know that Chromebook chargers are for sale in the Bookstore and are in stock. They cost just under $10.
- The Amateur Musicians Club will be hosting a fundraiser for Fine Arts Week on Sunday, February 14th at Fitz’s Spare Keys in downtown Elmhurst. The event will include performances by several York musicians and bands. The music will start at 1:30pm and go until 5:00pm. There will be a suggested donation of $10 for adults and $5 for students at the door, and the show is open to all ages. Come out and enjoy the three day weekend with some great, live music. Contact Mr. Gemkow if you have any questions.
- Congratulations to the York Cheer Team and coaches for placing 4th at State. This is the first time the Dukes qualified for the finals and the highest finish by a York team! The Dukes competed with the best in the State! Great job on an awesome season!
- Hi YORK - Please remember the Learning Commons is a place for you to study alone or with friends, read, AND to get help from teachers or a peer tutor. Need help with your writing, visit the Writing Center in the Learning Commons with one of our English teachers. We also have Social Studies and Science teachers in here to help you. Be sure to ask any of the LC staff for help!
- Attention Dukes! Are you interested in BEING THE CHANGE here at York? Whether or not you had the opporutnity to participate in Challenge Day this week, EVERYONE is welcome to join us at our next Challenge Day Club meeting on Tuesday after school in Forum Room A294. Bring a friend, or a whole bunch of friends! We look forward to seeing you then! If you have questions, see Ms. Fitzgerald or Ms. Pfau.
- Students attending the Intramural Ski Trip to Wilmot Mountain, please be sure to pre-register online at the Wilmot Mountain website. Also, we will meet by the athletic wing entrance at 3:20 pm. Dress warm!!
- Congratulations to FCCLA students who competed in the regional competitions at Robert Morris College on January 28th and College of DuPage on February 5th. Students developed presentations, demonstrated skills, and showcased knowledge in areas such as nutrition, fashion, food production and design, children's literature, interior design, and professional careers. Congrats to students who received first second and third place awards based on their overall competition score. Students with the most exemplary project/performance in their competition category were awarded the “most outstanding” distinction by the judges.
- First place and “Most Outstanding” distinctions were awarded to: Katie Fischer, Emma Ryan, Kaitlin Templeman, Stephanie Reinke, Nora Barrett.
- The following students also received first place: Maddie Miller, Allison Evans, Allison Peterson, Abby Templeman, Kevin Homan, Rachel Atristain, Katie Rambo, Elena Vezmar, Julianna Gecsey, Emily Schlecht, Nina Fabrizius, and Samantha Flesch.
- Oksana Batryn received a second place and most outstanding distinction.
- Also receiving second place were: Ally Geary, Katie Strawbridge, Kima Barrannik, Allison Evans, Bridgette Strawbridge, and Jolene Gundrum, Alex Wood.
- And the following students received 3rd place: Lauren Noonan, Jade Wallace, Richie Incandela, and Matt Carbone.